All Things Spiffy

Wednesday, October 18

The Price of a High Priestess

I don't really know what to think of this past week. It has all gone so quickly, and I know that the Goddess has been watching over us for it, but I can't help worrying still. I am protective of my sisters.

Ammy and Moris made a deal for Nadia's soul. Granted, Ammy did all the work -- which involved tearing apart another demon, so I know he loved it -- but, Moris' price was pretty high.

It surprised Joel that I went through Hell with Nadia to fight for her soul. It was never an option of going or staying. Even though I had forgotten my shoes. My sisters are most important to me. And I'll help them, protect them, in every way I can. That is my job as High Priestess. A job that I wouldn't change for the world.

I told Nadia not long ago that when she became herself again, I would step back and let her try to work things out with Joel. I meant this, no matter how hard it might have been to say, let alone do.

When we returned from Hell, and Ammy gave Nadia that onyx vial, I prepared myself for two things -- Being set on fire again, and being told that she wanted Joel back. I stepped back against the wall when Joel and Nadia were dealing with Maharet. I turned to leave as Rowane and Moris had done. Both of which stating it was a family matter before they stepped out. I worried for the kid. I wanted to help, but at the same time I hurt because I knew that both men were right. It was a family matter, and my sister comes first.

As I went to step into the vineyard, Nadia was rushing to Joel's side. Joel had collapsed, and as much as I wanted to run over, it didn't seem my place any longer, so I turned away. At that moment, Nadia called my name. I was going to keep moving. I felt that was best. But I didn't. I stopped and looked over my shoulder as she was standing.

I didn't expect her to tell me that I should be there, with Joel. I didn't know what to say. Sure, I wanted to be there next to him, but they were a family. She stepped back, glanced over at me, and then hung her head. I walked over to Joel and knelt down beside him, still a little confused.

As High Priestess, I have come to terms with giving up certain things for my coven. My family. My sisters. I don't complain about it. I have no need to. It's no different to than rushing to Orchid's side when Aryia and she had that little scuffle not long ago. I would jump to protect each and every one of them.

Nadia later told me that she knew Joel wouldn't go back, and that I should love him, if that was what I wanted.

I've never had anyone do that for me. I didn't know what to say. I still don't. Joel doesn't understand why I would have left him like that. I guess he never will.

He asked if I would really walk away from our relationship should Nadia ask me to. I sighed and looked in his eyes. 'Yes.'

That's the price I pay. Gladly.

10 Everyone else's two cents:

Post a Comment

<< Home